Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Painted Faces, Row Boats, and Costumes

Another weekend in JoBurg well spent. But again I must rewind a bit. At the Braai this Friday I left my room in a rush and forgot to grab my keys before I locked the padlock on my bedroom door. Bad mistake. It was Friday so the only person with a copy of my key wasn’t around and wouldn’t be around until Monday morning. A few friends tried to break into the room with a few bobby pins with no such luck. They all felt pretty bad for me and offered places for me to sleep that night but I had a room in Caitlin’s house where I could stay the night. I was more worried about getting clothes for the next day when we went to JoBurg. Tristan said he would break the lock open for me the next morning before we left so I said I’d get a replacement lock. Well the next morning Tristan didn’t show. I tried calling him, Abrie and Andy all with no luck. So, since everyone that I was going to JoBurg with was waiting for me so that we could leave, I called security to get them to open it for me. I was told it would cost R150 so I didn’t want to spend that but it was my only option. The guy came and opened my lock and it cost me R200. But there was no time to argue. I got my things together as quickly and humanly possibly. Changed clothes and got ready to leave.
The guys all rode in Jeff’s car with him, and the girls took mini busses. We females were dropped off at a gas station and picked up by Giacomo, another friend from JoBurg who we would be staying with this time. Before taking us to his house where the guys were all waiting for us, we stopped by a cricket field that was near a school on top of a hill that looked out over all of JoBurg. It was really amazing to see. Very green for such a large city. When we arrived at his house the guys had all already made themselves at home. After some time we went to a park, very family oriented with people having braais everywhere. We went to Moloko for lunch and after we finished eating we all got our faces painted [except Nathan he had enough face painting last weekend to last him a long while]. Then we went on row boats. We had two boats five people in one and six in the other. I was in the boat with six. Niels and Luc were rowing our boat and let’s just say they needed a bit more practice. At one point we got stuck under a large fountain in the middle of the lake and were all quiet wet, which was not at all fun because the sun was going down so we were getting a bit cold as well. We went to a bar in the park for a drink then headed back to Giacomo’s. Everyone played a drinking game called Kings, I of course had no desire to get drunk and refrained, but it was still very entertaining to watch everyone else. Then we went to a club called Town Hall. It was nice to get a break from the music that is played every night in every club or bar in Hatfield. It was also nice to get a break from the Akrikaana’s mullets that you see everywhere. We had a great time but were ready to leave earlier than we would have thought because the music was really loud and some people were really drunk. So we waited outside the club while a few of the guys tried to get cabs for all of us. We took three cabs to a McDonald’s and started walking back to Giacomo’s from there. Well the walk wasn’t really the shortest walk I’ve ever taken, and I would have preferred to have had a sweater on since it gets a bit chilly at night here now as the weather changes to winter. I would have also been fine if I had some comfortable shoes on for walking. But we finally arrived at Giacomo’s and everyone collapsed on whatever piece of furniture they could find. The sleeping arrangements we made and we all found somewhere to sleep.
Everyone woke at about the same time the next morning because the place was small enough that once one of us was up and started making noise, we were all up making noise. There was a lot of laughs as stories we shared of the night before and soon we were all getting up and moving around. I went into the living room and was reading a book on when Lora came in, not to my notice, with a Winnie the Pooh costume on. It took a while for me to realize she was there but when I looked up at her I busted out laughing. Evidentially Giacomo has a lot of costumes and everyone had put something on. I had to see this so I went into the room and sure enough everyone had some piece of a costume on. After some pictures and laughs we were all pretty hungry so Giacomo made scrambled eggs and toast. Then we rounded up our things to head out. But we were slightly postponed leaving by the hail that began falling from the sky along with the rain pouring down. Once the rain stopped all the girls got into Jeff’s car to ride back with him and the guys got into Giacomo’s car to catch a minibus home.
When the guys finally arrived home I was talking with Niels and he said that he has decided that no girl is every allowed in Hillbrow again. He thought it very dangerous and would not trust any of us going there again. I assured him that I had no desire to go there again and would do everything in my power to avoid it. All in all the weekend was yet another success. We all had a great time and other than the long walk would do it again any day, maybe even the walk if I had a sweater this time!
Peace, Love, and Jesus


P.S. Sorry there are no pictures from this weekend, My camera was dead! Sad Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment