Monday, February 28, 2011

First Day of Classes!! =]

So I’m sitting here in lecture hall 3-3 20 minutes before my class starts. Yes mom I’m not only on time, but I’m early! There’s no one else in the hall yet so it worries me a bit that I am in the wrong room, but then I remember that I am in South Africa and the class is very likely to not even start on time. So my mind is put at ease. I feel like the new kid again, except in the movies the new kid always arrives to the class in the middle of it and the teacher tells them where to sit. I am here alone before the teacher, so I have no guidance where to sit. I feel that the spot that I choose will forever mark me as what kind of student I am and who I sit near will decide who I become friends with. Have you ever noticed that if the teacher doesn’t make a seating arrangement, the students will make one themselves. Humans are very predictable. When I sit somewhere on the first day, it is very likely that this seat will remain to be my spot throughout the course of the whole semester. Also if someone sits in my spot I will be offended and quite possibly get upset at the person, even though they may not see that the seat is mine, because it’s not really but I just think of it that way. We all like to have ownership of something. We like to know that when we get to our class our seat will be there waiting for us. We don’t want to have to make the decision every day where we are going to sit. We want to find a good spot and stick with it. “Don’t mess with a good thing right”. But choosing your seat isn’t as simple as it sounds. It’s not just the comfort of the seat. It’s not even really about the view that you have of the boards or the teacher. In fact it’s about where you sit and how others view where you sit. For example if I sit in the very front row in the exact middle, I will be seen as a teacher’s pet or a know it all. If I sit in the back corner I will be seen as a slacker. So I know that you are all wondering where I am sitting. I, knowledgeable student that I am, am sitting in the second row from the front, towards the middle but slightly to the right of the middle from the students’ point of view. Why? Because I want to be able to see yes, and I don’t want to been seen as a bad kid, or as a real goody goody. But I do want people to know that I mean business, I’m here to study and learn, not to mess around and have a good joke. But I do like jokes so don’t hold back! I’m sitting slightly to the right because I like to look to the left more than the right, I think eyes are just adjusted that way because I always sit on the left side of the car so that I can look out the window to my left. So we’ll see if I have made the right decision. There are still no other students in the room and the class starts in 8 minutes so I’m getting very nervous! But I’ll stick it out for another five minutes! There’s no way that everyone will be that late to class!! I hope, otherwise I’m in for quite the culture shock!

Peace, Love, and Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment